OATV is our start up. Like most start ups we gather information, process feedback and iterate with eye an towards delivering a product our customers will love. And, like most start ups, we’ve built a small team committed to doing just that. Every two years, an opening on our team becomes available and we want to make those in our network aware of it.
OATV is hiring a new Associate.
The role of an Associate has been an important one at OATV since we started. The work we require of our Associates has remained fairly consistent over the years: market research, financial analysis and due diligence support. We’ve tried out a bunch of different personality types, educational backgrounds and skill sets over the years and have a pretty good sense of what works well for us. So here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have to be smart, interesting and enjoyable to be around. We’re a small team and we all have to work closely together. This doesn’t mean we get along all the time or that we agree on everything, but we have to like working with you at the end of the day.
- You have to be an Excel jockey. I don’t like building financial models and Mark doesn’t have the time, but they’re core to us and our companies. This is not a nice to have, this is a must have.
- You have to be technical. You don’t necessarily have to be a programmer, but you have to understand technology at a fairly fundamental level. “Social media experts” need not apply.
- You have to have an education. We’ve had MBAs from Ivy League schools and we’ve had graduates from the school of hard knocks as Associates. Operating and entrepreneurial education is as valid a credential as what college you attended. What you learned is far more important to us than the paper its printed on.
- You have a track record of good judgement. Your personal, education and career choices tell a story of your ambition and judgement. In a world of limitless ways to spend your time, we want to see that you’ve picked where you spend yours wisely.
- You have to be curious. OATV is not a firm that sits back and let’s the companies come to us. We go deep on trends and sectors we’re curious about. We pull on threads to see what will happen. We like getting inside of people’s heads. You should too.
Now the specifics. We’re based in San Francisco, so you need to either be here or be willing to move here. Compensation will be better than you’d make at a start up but worse than you’d make at a hedge fund. This is a two year gig, not a partner track position. You’ll get invited to Foo Camp. You can start immediately.
If you’ve made it this far and are still interested, here’s how to apply:
- Don’t email, send us a resume or link to your online presence unless we already know you. If we don’t know you, it will be deleted.
- A personal intro is the only way to apply for this job. You can get a head start on finding that intro by reviewing our portfolio companies, looking at the people Tim and I follow on Twitter or search LinkedIn to see if you know any people Tim, Mark or I know.
Our experience over the years has shown that wide open Associate searches are far less effective for us than intros to candidates from people we trust. If you, or someone you know, fits the above description and has the hustle to work for an intro we’d love to talk to you about joining team OATV.
On a personal note: I got my start in the venture business as an Associate at a firm most, outside of Salt Lake City, Utah, had never heard of. It was an awesome experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything. Our hope is that OATV can be a similarly life changing springboard for all of our Associates.